Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Don't Miss the Butterflies

The rainy season is finally over.  Sweet potatoes are growing in the fields and rice is starting to ripen.  Though the rainy season brings countless challenges it also brings something very delightful. Butterflies. The largest and most brilliant butterflies I have ever seen. Had I not come during the rainy season, I would have missed these very hungry caterpillars transforming into graceful works of art darting around the Mozambican landscape.  It is a celebration for the eyes. But that is not the only transformation I would have missed.

Today was my sixth week of Bible study at the house of  Domingas and Joaquim, two former witchdoctors.  The transformation in Domingas is remarkable.  When I first met her, her countenance was dark and she could not look at me in the eyes.  She could not even be in the same room with us while we prayed by her dead son. Then she found Jesus. His transforming power in her life has become more evident each week we meet.  Though she is illiterate, she repeats scripture to answer my questions.  She laughs often now; something she could never do before. Her father and two neighbors have also joined the Bible study. Today, for the first time, her neighbor prayed out loud. This afternoon I met her going to the funeral of one of our children in the nutrition program.  She was on her way to comfort another family with the same comfort God had given to her. At times I get discouraged at the challenges of living in a culture plagued with spiritual poverty. Then God gently reminds me that I would miss this beautiful miracle of His graceful work darting around the Mozambican landscape.  It is a celebration for the heart.

1 comment:

Prairie Mama said...

It brings tears to my eyes to read the harvest that you are witnessing! I am so thankful to a God who brought two women out of the darkness and is now sharing the Light through them. Thank you for being willing to be in this tough place. May God continue to use you miraculously.