Total Pageviews

Friday, June 26, 2009

A Humble Walk

He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.  Micah 6:8

This scripture was my "theme" verse as I came to Moz four months ago.  God is always faithful to show me what is "good" and what He requires though it is not always easy - especially if it involves humbleness.  It has been my desire to be here to help others.  But truthfully, it is really me that is on the receiving end.  Today I had another chance to observe what it means to "walk humbly with your God."

After our Bible study this afternoon, Fatima asked if we could go see Emelia, another activista that did not show up for work this morning. Rumor had it that she was "not feeling well." Though it was getting late in the day, I agreed we should go.  When we arrived at her small home we found her inside attending her grown son as he lay on the cement floor.  She was trying to coax him to take some watery sustenance.  I quickly observed that his condition looked critical and he was deteriorating rapidly.  She calmly got up and greeted us though I could see a mother's heart conveyed on her face.  After some brief questions, it was evident she had no means to take him to the hospital.  She had been praying and waiting patiently for God to help her in this difficult situation.  Since he was on the verge of unconsciousness, several onlookers picked him up to carry him to my car.  But rather than hastening his limp body out to the car, Emelia stopped us midstream and asked for prayer. She wanted to commit him to the care of the One she trusted. We drove him to hospital not knowing if there would be a doctor or medical equipment available to save him.  Yet in all of this, I witnessed her humble spirit as she accepted this cup of sorrow.

I couldn't help but think back a few years ago when my own daughter was in critical condition with a skull fracture after falling several feet onto a cement floor.  Within a short time she was whisked away to a waiting helicopter that flew her to another city in another state so she could receive the best of medical attention.  A neurosurgeon waited on stand-by should surgery be imminent. While in a coma at the hospital, she began having several seizures that the medicine was not able to control.  I remember the sick feeling of panic that followed when I realized all the medical help at our disposal might not be able save her.  At the time, I wasn't ready to drink that cup.  Within three weeks, because of God's mercy, my daughter was able to walk out of the hospital on her own.  I wonder what pitfalls my walk with God might have taken had it gone the other way?

There is so much to learn along this pathway as God teaches us how to walk humbly.  Emelia's son is in God's hands and she knows there is no better place for him to be.

(Postscript:  Emelia's son died two days after I wrote this.  He had accepted Christ and is now completely healed.)

No comments: