Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ice Cream Sundae

Some of the women listening to the Bible study in Mafarinha this morning.

Many people in Project Life do not own a Bible. Many cannot read, but even those that can have not had the opportunity to own their own Bible. Any of their Biblical training and teaching comes from outside sources. For one who grew up on a daily diet of the Bible, it is hard to comprehend the impoverishment of this spiritual dependency. I really can't imagine not being able to grab my Bible and scarf down the precious truths like an ice cream sundae. We were blessed recently by a missionary friend who received a huge shipment of Bibles. He graciously gave us a Bible for each person able to read in PL.

Knowing it was the week to receive their Bibles, the people came anxiously expectant. After receiving his Bible, one man gingerly wrapped it in a piece of paper to protect it. I thought about all the times I had dropped my Bible, scribbled all over it or used it as a fan when the church got too hot. They, on the other hand, kept thanking me like I had given them a ticket to the lottery. Wanting to encourage their new-found freedom, I judiciously began to voice my opinion about what books, chapters and verses would be best to read first. ( Do you devour the whipping cream, bananas, chocolate, ice cream or cherry on top first?) After all, reading the Psalms is so uplifting yet the meat of Romans produces growth, while the book of James is challenging and then there is the love chapter of I Corinthians 13... Impossible. All I could say was, “dig in!”

* * * * * * *

It was hot this morning in Mafarinha as we began to dance and sing. It was more than hot. These days the extreme heat finds me being creative in how to overcome it. Not wanting to encourage more moisture than was already drowning me I chose to keep my body more still than moving. Then dear Emilia stopped the praise and worship and addressed this group suffering from AIDS.

“Just yesterday,” she began, “I visited a woman whom I hadn't seen in a while. This woman had come to our Bible studies quite regularly. She had danced and sang and worshiped God. Then one day she quit coming. I heard she was sick. When I saw her, she was so sick she could no longer move anything but a part of her arms.” There was a knowing silence among us.

Emilia continued. “Now is the time that you are able to worship God with everything you have. Use your gifts, whatever He has given you, to praise and worship Him before you can no longer do it.”

The singing quickly became louder and more intentional. Somehow the heat surrounding me seemed to disperse into the morning air.

3 comments:

David Pool said...

Incredible! What a perspective adjustment these brothers and sisters can bring to a comfortable American!

Linda said...

Pam,
I really want you to print this off and make a book out of your experiences. It would sell!!
My prayers to all of your family!
Love ya,
Linda

Harry said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. It helps me to appreciate the Treasure I have in the Bible and want to share the Good News of Jesus more and more.