Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

We are Back!

The warm air, the distinct pungent smell of the tropics and the coconut trees welcomed us back to Mozambique.  We were gone eight months but few things have changed; perhaps some new businesses have emerged from outside investors. Sadly, we heard Biques burned down – a popular restaurant on the beach in Beira. More coal and trees are being exported out by foreign countries. Though the infrastructure is looking up for some, many are still struggling to survive. The good news is that because of our friends who support this ministry, we came armed to build 16 more houses!

Though anxious to connect with so many, I checked up on Fatima first.  Fatima is an activista (worker) with Project Life, our AIDS hospice without walls. She has suffered a number of bouts with TB but continues to fight it.  She has such a sweet demeanor and continues to trust God for her healing. Will you pray for her to get well completely?

Fatima is as beautiful on the inside
as she is on the outside.

I was delighted to check up on the basket ministry.  The quality of the baskets is impressive as the people in Project Life continue to excel in their skill of basket weaving.  I will try and get a picture up on my blog soon!

It also has been encouraging to hear that many still attend the Bible studies out in the bairros with the activistas.  Some people attend from other churches just to write down what we are teaching so they can teach it in their churches!  So many churches are here but there is a need for trained and educated pastors. 
To those of you that support an activista – you are making a difference not only in this project but in many other places as well. PTL!

The women wearing their matching capalanas are singing
and dancing in worship at the Nhamaibwe Bible study this week.

The women are getting better at being able
to read their Bibles.

Finding chapter and verse is getting easier.

After the Nhamaibwe Bible study, I visited a very ill elderly man from Project Life in his home.  From his humble surroundings I could see he had very little of this world’s possessions. His sickness has kept him from even getting out of his bed.  He hadn’t eaten his small plate of masa his wife had made for him because he had no appetite. In spite of his circumstances, he looked up and said to me, “I am trusting God with all of my heart!” 

It is good to be back doing the soup ministry. Emilia, Anapaula, Simone and I went to the hospital yesterday. We always go into the pediatric ward of the hospital first to pray with the sick children. Mothers bring their babies to us for prayer and soup. It never ceases to take my breath away when I see the suffering of these little ones.  Some had malaria, or other deadly infections. I asked the age of one infant (a week old?) and discovered she was 7 months old! Her little arms were smaller than the circumference of a quarter.  In the adult wing, a man with swollen legs told me he was a Muslim but he also had accepted Jesus.  It really didn’t surprise me to hear him say that. 17% of the population here is Muslim but often they don’t really understand the extent of what that means.  It isn’t uncommon for people to mix their religions here in Moz, often including witchcraft as the foundation.  In the last room, a man who was attending his sick wife accepted Jesus as his Savior. I am so thankful for those that support the soup ministry because it is a very powerful way to share God’s love and hope and it is so often received well.

This woman in PL is suffering from what
started out as a toothache.  The infection
spread to her face and now it is swollen
to her eye. The need for dentists in Moz is great!

I spent the day today interviewing a number of women who are in need of housing. As I sat listening to their stories I was drawn back to a time of war in Mozambique (not so long ago) that disrupted lives and tore apart families. The aftershock of war still lingers as they struggle with being a woman in a poverty-stricken nation.  Yet, it is with great satisfaction that I know we can help.  I know that these women’s stories of loss and suffering are powerful. But the stories of those who have sacrificed to give are also powerful…many giving sacrificially in spite of their own loss and struggles. They didn’t give out of their wealth or poverty, but out of love.  It is a love that reaches around the world to hold hands with the Mozambican people to make their burdens light. Thank you to all of you who had a hand in this!

My doggie and I are back together again. Paz
was so excited to see me.  I was worried he might
not remember me.  He kept staring at me intently
in the face, would walk away and come right back
to stare at me intently again.  Now he isn't letting
me out of his sight....:-)