Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Returning To Dondo

They say one of the most difficult jobs as a missionary is saying goodbye. The word comes up often when traveling yearly to the flip-side of the world. Candidly, it is THE most difficult job for me. Right now we are saying goodbye to our children and grandchildren and packing and repacking six-months of living into two overnight bags (the four checked bags are stuffed with a miscellany of treasures for the Ray of Light Project in Dondo :-). It is not a walk in the park to put 10,000 miles between you and your loved ones.

Yet...going to Moz has changed my life. I can't ignore the truth that our Mozambican brothers and sisters, children and grandchildren are hurting. Since we left six months ago, several have slipped away from life to the grave. Right now John says many of the people are starving and eating pig feed that is sold along the road. Many still have not heard that there is a friend waiting for them that sticks closer than a brother.

I have no guarantee that I can make a difference. The problems and solutions grow in polarized worlds. Yet John Ortberg says, "Faith is coming to believe with my whole body what I say I believe with my mind." If I don't take this leap of faith, then I will never learn to soar. If I don't go with the faith that God can help me make a difference, my certificate for failure is signed in stone.

We leave this Sunday. Do you want to go with us? You can by praying for us, supporting us (www.childrensrelief.org), and joining a team going to Dondo this summer. Whatever you do to partner with us, we pray that God will bless your act of faith.

4 comments:

Dick and Sheila said...

yes we will pray!!!!! Love you guys!
Dick and Sheila

Janet Certalic said...

Dear Pam,
Thanks for including us in your life. I agonize for you as you leave your loved ones. It is the greatest sacrifice one can make for Jesus.He knows that and has promised to make it up to us someday when we will all spend eternity together. What a great relief that will be.
Thank you for being faithful in helping our fellow believers in such dire circumstances.
We love and miss you. You were such a treasure at our conference.

Lovingly,
Janet Certalic

Nisleys said...

Sheri and I prayed for you today as we drove from Helena to Powell. Praying God's protection on you and all you bring with you. Thank you for your faithfulness. We will hold you up before the Father! Sonja

JanT said...

Pam, I understand so well your comment: "It is not a walk in the park to put 10,000 miles between you and your loved ones." My sister and her family have been with Wykliffe Bible Translators, living on other continents, for 25 years and just moved back to the States in 2008. Larry & I found it incredibly difficult to say goodbye to April whenever she headed over to Siberia during her 3 years living over there. Thank you for your commitment to these people in Moz. I admire you and I'm inspired by you! Jan