Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Reunion

She held on to me and quietly sobbed as I hugged her with sheer joy mixed with total terror. Joy because I hadn’t seen her in six months. Terror for her because AIDS had brought T.B. as an uninvited guest. She isn’t just another person with AIDS. She is my wonderful Christian friend that has walked with me many hours in Project Life. She is a young woman to be admired.

I was in awe when I heard her story of how her husband had left her because her mother-in-law thought she "wasn’t right" for her son. He left her penniless, with AIDS and the job of raising two children. I first met her when I was introduced to Project Life. I had found it ironic that the difference between her extreme poverty and those she served was her rich soul filled with Jesus. It was exciting last year when a donor allowed her to have a Green Door mud house. I still have visions of us laughing together as she was caked in mud diligently working on her first home. Today I found her there too sick to do anything.

I asked my friend if she had been able to eat any food. I wasn’t surprised to find that the only food in her house was corn flour. She is one of thousands going hungry this time of year in Moz. Gratefully, I knew that some donors had left money for the Project Life food pantry and we could bring her some beans, oil, and rice. It will last for a little while. Then to my great delight, because of a faithful team member from the States (thanks Debbie!) growing in her yard was a 10 foot beautiful moringa tree. Cindy had given one to each of the activistas when they were tall enough to be transplanted. (The moringa tree is very nutritious.) Manuel and I explained to her how to dry the leaves and add them to her corn meal. Her eyes began to express some hope.

It is inevitable those with AIDS are going to suffer. It is a tough enemy to defeat. But I am very proud of fellow Christians who are generous during tough times to people they don’t know thousands of miles away... because they want to serve Jesus. And today they served Him well as they reached out to my dear, sweet friend.

1 comment:

Renee said...

What a way with words--and the Word of Truth. May God bless you both richly as you serve Him!