Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 8, 2013

A Thankful Heart

 You have changed my sorrow into dancing. You have taken away my sackcloth and clothed me with joy. You wanted me to praise you and not be silent. Lord my God, I will praise you forever! Psalm 30: 11-12


There is so much to be thankful for. I visited Manuel, the handicapped man unexpectedly to see how he was doing in his new business. I found that he had not been afraid to set up his new business right in his neighborhood. He was so proud of his banca that he was just beaming! His children looked so proud of him too. I had to look away for a moment. I was fighting tears because it was overwhelming to me that just $200 can change someone's life here so easily. Of course he still lives in the slums, his house is still a shack with holes, the children wear used and tattered clothing. But he can say that he does not have to rely on charity to feed his family. Something I wish for every human being...a sense of dignity and worth and the realization that with God's help, anything is possible.  And thank you dear supporters - you don't know how many times God blesses your dollars in so many different ways here in Mozambique.


The Bible study class of the Consito bairro decided to give Simone and Emmalee a surprise goodbye party. They collected bits of money from each member and presented Simone with a capalana shirt and Em with a capalana skirt. Both are back in the States now.  Pray for Em as she moves towards becoming a full-time missionary and Simone as he goes to school at NWC.


I know I take a lot of pictures of children!  They are not only so fun and willing to pose but they remind me that we are working hard today in Moz to help ensure their future. If we can bring them Jesus, there is hope for their future.


This little girl was practicing the art of carrying things on her head and not dropping it. It was funny because a few seconds later everything in the bag fell out on the ground.  


One of our moms in PL at the Bible study. My prayer is that each person in our hospice program lives to raise their children to adulthood. Pray for a cure for AIDS. 


I love the full attention the people give to the Bible studies. Many can't read so this is the only way they can understand the Bible. I am so thankful for the spiritual growth I see in them.


We did a Green Door house celebration for two blind men this last weekend. Lucas and Chico. This is a part of a bairro that we haven't built a lot of houses in so a Green Door celebration was new to these children. We are always thankful to help the blind walk one more step out of poverty.


He wasn't sure if he wanted his picture taken....he wasn't used to being hounded by the paparazzi.


Another cutie that agreed to her picture being taken.


This is Lucas and his wife. They have six children although some are married. Their donor for their house also gave us extra money to help them so we are going to put them in a business so Lucas does not have to beg on the streets to feed his family. Pray that this new business will work out for him.


More cuties posing.


Capalana dress.


Checking out the Green Door house.


Although I am sad that everyone has gone back to the States this week, my heart was warmed and encouraged by a couple of things that happened:  
......A truck driver who had never heard of Jesus accepted Him in his heart yesterday in the hospital. And as we were leaving, he asked for the directions to our church so he could attend when he gets well. 
.......Today, just as Caetano (our activista) was about to speak at the hospital, he abruptly stopped and asked how Turk, my brother-in-law was doing. He said he had been praying for him at his house faithfully. (You know that someone is sincerely praying when they follow up and ask about them!)  And God was merciful to so many prayers on behalf of Turk as he is now recovering from his brain surgery in Seattle.