Total Pageviews

Monday, August 26, 2013

God's glorious riches...


I will never get used to the poverty that I see in Dondo. This is Lusita and her family. Her husband is an electrician.  I think about some of the men I know in the States who are electricians.  They live in nice houses, their children dress well and they have food on the table three times a day. But physical poverty is only temporary. It is the spiritual poverty that saddens my heart the most. I am thankful that Lusita is now involved in our Bible studies. We have received many new visitors this year in our Project Life Bible studies. And my God will supply all your (Lusita's) needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
 Philippians 4: 19. 


This is Chico. He too is a new visitor to our Bible studies.  He is blind.  He was spiritually blind too. But this last week he accepted Jesus as his Savior. Pray for Chico and those like him who are new to the God's family and need to grow. Pray for the activistas who will continue to teach the Bible studies in my absence.

I am actually writing this blog from my home in the United States.  We were called home because of a family emergency. From the time we secured our plane tickets home, we had just one day to make arrangements, tie up lose ends, try and meet commitments, and pass the baton. Not an easy task. 

I had read in my Bible that morning, a scripture that touched my heart so deeply that I knew God was saying something to me to prepare me for what was ahead..."lead me to a rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge...Psalm 61: 2b-3a. 

While I was hurting for my family and hurting because I had to leave Dondo, I looked outside my window and saw a group of people walking up the road. The entire Mafarinha Bible study had walked to my house to pray with me.  And they did what they always do when they are hurting. The most precious thing that they have taught me in the years I have been with them. They danced and sang praises to God. You see, Satan has to leave in a hurry when He hears us singing. It is the best strategy to keep our focus not on our pain but where it should be....in a loving God who has not forgotten us. 

We are thankful that the Green Door will continue under Manuel's direction and finish the 24 houses we committed to build. The activistas will continue the ministry in the bairros, Bible studies and the hospital. It has been a privilege to be a small part of the huge story in what God has been doing in Dondo. Thank you to all of you who continue to give so these ministries can go on. May God supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus!